A British classic! This Toad in the Hole recipe is a perfect go-to when the nights draw in and the weather turns cold. It's simple, easy to make and cost-effective with only 15 minutes of preparation required. Keep an eye out for new recipes each week plus we love suggestions so please feel free to leave them in the comments section below.
Prices based on Tesco price information 20.09.2022. Tip: You can further reduce costs by shopping at Aldi, Lidl or other value supermarkets.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 45 minutes
- Serves: 4 People
- Cost: £6.10 (£1.52 per person)
- 12 Chipolatas (or 8 sausages) - £2.20
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil - £1.75
- 150g Plain Flour - £0.80
- 2 Large Eggs - £0.50
- 185ml Semi-Skimmed Milk - £0.85
- Salt and Black Pepper (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C / 390°F / Gas 7. Place the chipolatas / sausages in a 20cm x 30cm oven dish or roasting pan with the olive oil until lightly browned.
- To make the Yorkshire pudding batter, pour your flour into a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Crack the eggs into it and add approximately 1/2 tsp of salt and black pepper. Using an electric whisk thoroughly mix the ingredients whilst slowly adding the milk. Once mixed, leave to stand until the sausages are cooked.
- Remove the sausages from the oven, the fat should be very hot but if it isn't sizzling you can quickly heat it using the hob.
- Pour the batter mix over the sausages and oil and place immediately onto the top shelf of the oven to cook for 25-30 minutes. Once risen and golden brown your Toad in the Hole will be ready to remove and serve.
- We recommend serving with gravy and an assortment of your favourite vegetables.
- If using sausages by butterflying them you can save on the ingredients cost and cooking time.
- Remember: Do not open the oven to check the contents until fully cooked, otherwise you will end up with a flat toad in the hole.