- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Serves: 9-12 people
For the Treacle
- 50g Unsalted Butter
- 350g Golden Syrup
- 100ml Stem Ginger Syrup
- 150g Fresh Breadcrumbs
For the Sponge
- 300g Unsalted Butter
- 300g Golden Caster Sugar
- 8g Stem Ginger, (finely grated or chopped)
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Conference Pears
- 300g Plain Flour
- 1 Tbsp Milk
- 5 Eggs
* Preheat the oven to 190⁰C/Fan 170⁰C/Gas Mark 5 *
- Firstly, melt the butter, golden syrup and stem ginger syrup over a medium heat. Once melted, pour this mixture into a bowl of breadcrumbs. Stir well and allow to soak for 5 minutes.
- Take a square roaster and lightly grease with butter, then spoon in the syrup and breadcrumb mix. Allow to sit whilst you make the rest of the dish. Separately sieve the flour and baking powder together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the butter, golden caster sugar and grated ginger until light and fluffy. Next, crack 1 egg at a time into this mixture and each time add 1 tablespoon of the flour and baking powder mix until all combined. Repeat, and carefully fold the remaining flour and milk to keep the batter airy.
- Next, gently spoon the batter over the top of the syrup and breadcrumb mixture. Take the pears, slice lengthways to be 1cm thick and place on top of the batter mix so that half of the pear is submerged.
- Place this dish into the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. To check this, place a clean knife through the middle of the cake and if it comes out clean then the cake is cooked.
Sprinkle the top of the cake with icing sugar and serve with custard, cream or ice cream and enjoy!!