This simple to make Banana loaf recipe is based on an old family recipe. It is quick, easy to make and packed full of flavour with a smooth, creamy texture that is best to be enjoyed warm with lashings of custard.
- 3x Ripe Bananas
- 12oz Self-Raising Flour
- 4oz Unsalted Butter
- 4oz Caster Sugar
- 2x Large Eggs
- A Pinch of Salt
Suggestion: Add a generous handful of chocolate chips
Creating the Mixture
- In a mixing bowl mix the butter and sugar until smooth, gradually add the eggs whilst mixing thoroughly
- In a separate bowl mash bananas into a smooth paste
- Mix 1/3 of the flour into the butter, sugar and egg mixture
- Mix 1/3 of mashed banana into butter mixture
- Continue point 4 and 5 until all the ingredients are mixed thoroughly
- Add a pinch of salt, continue mixing until it has reached a creamy texture
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C / Gas mark 4 / 350°F
- Line a loaf tin with foil and pour in the mixture, fold over the foil to cover the top.
- Place in the oven for 1 hour. Uncover the top of the banana bread and cook for a further 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the banana bread from the loaf tin using the foil underneath to easily remove. Place onto a wire rack to cool.
Once the bread has cooled, cut into thick slices and add butter or add a dash of warm custard.