Learn how to make a delicious white bread loaf in several easy steps without the need for a bread maker or loaf tin. Quick and simple with minimal ingredients.
- Difficulty: Easy
- Loaf Tin: Optional
- Prepping Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 25 - 30 Minutes (2 hours proving)
- Temperature 220°C / Fan 200°C / Gas Mark 7
- Quantity: 1 Loaf
- Freezable: Yes
- 500g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 7g fast-action yeast sachets
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 300ml water
- Mix 500g strong white flour, 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp salt and a 7g sachet of fast-action yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Create a well in the centre of the dough, then add 3 tbsp olive oil and 300ml water, mix thoroughly either by hand or machine.
If the dough seems a little stiff, add another 1-2 tbsp water and mix well to achieve the perfect consistency.
- Add the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for around 10 minutes.
- Once the dough is smooth, place it in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film or a reusable silicone lid. Leave to rise for 1 hour until doubled in size or you can place it in the fridge overnight.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Knockback the dough before folding the dough back in on itself, this helps to remove the air then gently mould the dough into a ball.
- Place it on the baking paper to prove for a further hour until doubled in size.
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C / fan 200°C / Gas 7
- Using a knife cut a cross about 6cm long into the top of the loaf. Then dust a light sprinkling of flour using a sieve.
- Place the raw dough into the oven and bake for 25-30 mins until golden brown. Once you have reached the perfect browning simply place or remove the loaf and leave to cool on a wire rack.