We hope you’re enjoying our recipes from the blog: easy and cheap to make, boredom busters, entertainment for the kids, and simply providing you and your family with something tasty and homemade to eat!
Our next recipe is a savoury accompaniment, perfect to serve as a snack, with lunch or with hummus, dips or soup: Pesto & Cheese Straws
Pesto & Cheese Straws
(Makes 10 straws - double the ingredients up if more are required)
- 55g butter
- 120g plain flour
- 35g grated cheese (Cheddar)
- 25g grated parmesan (I cheat and use shop bought ready grated hard cheese)
- 1 egg, whisked
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp pesto
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan) / Gas Mark 4.
- Rub the butter and flour together with your fingers into a bowl until it looks like bread crumbs.
- Add the cheese. Mix, leaving a bit of the cheddar aside for later.
- Stir in the egg, pesto and pinch of salt - mix really well.
- Now get your hands in and bring the dough together into a ball.
- Shape the dough ball into a square shape on a floured surface and roll out to about 1cm thickness, keeping a square shape.
- Cut into 10 equal rectangles.
- Place onto a baking sheet and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold. Perfect as part of lunch or as a snack (lovely with hummus and dips), or serve as dippers for soup. So yummy!
You could try using red pesto as an alternative to green if you prefer.
You could also try twisting the pastry to create twists rather than straws (we twisted some - see the pictures).
Another yummy, quick and easy lunch accompaniment or snack to make - we hope you enjoy it!
Why not check out our other blogs - click here to browse our blogs.
Be sure to care and share our blogs. We would love to see you over on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest, and read your thoughts in the comments below.