Create delicious and healthy overnight oats using just 3 simple ingredients by following our super-easy how to guide. Here we’ve used one of our fabulous Kilner handled jars and the abundance of delicious blackberries that are currently lining the hedgerows to show you how it’s done in a few easy steps. Read on for directions and more flavour combination ideas!
- 40g of oats (porridge oats are ideal)
- 200g of yoghurt (your choice of natural, Greek or flavoured yoghurt)
- Fresh, frozen or tinned fruit
- Start layering your ingredients by adding roughly half of the oats to the bottom of a glass jar, followed by half of the yoghurt before topping with a layer of fruit
- Repeat the step above by adding a further layer of oats directly on top of the fruit, followed by the rest of the yoghurt and finally the remaining fruit
- Add a lid, cover or clingfilm to the top of your glass jar and pop it in the fridge for at least 7 hours to give the yoghurt a chance to soften the oats and allow the flavours to meld together
- When you’re ready to eat, simply remove from the fridge, uncover, stir to mix and enjoy!
Once you’ve mastered the basic principles and have found your perfect balance of ingredients you can get creative with your overnight oats by trying different flavours. Here are a few combinations that we enjoy:
- Carrot cake style – add freshly-grated carrot, apple, raisins, finely chopped nuts, a teaspoon of honey and a sprinkling of cinnamon to layers of oats and plain Greek yoghurt
- Peach melba – go old school by adding fresh or tinned sliced peaches with raspberries and peach yoghurt
- Apple and blackberry – Make the most of in-season fruits with this classic combination of stewed apple (or apple sauce), freshly picked blackberries and fruits of the forest yoghurt
- Toffee apple – Get set for autumn with this classic flavour combination achieved by layering stewed or grated apple with layers of toffee or fudge yoghurt. To add texture you could even add small chunks of soft fudge and serve it as a dessert for an indulgent treat
If you’ve been inspired to have a try at making your own overnight oats, why not check out our full range of Kilner jars?