A perfect dessert for your festive parties, learn how to create this traditional Christmas chocolate yule log cake with our easy-to-read recipe guide.
- Preparation: 30 Minutes
- Baking: 10 Minutes
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 8
For the Sponge
- x3 Large Eggs
- 90g Caster Sugar
- 90g Plain Flour
- 2tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
For the Filling & Icing
- 50g Butter (Extra for the Tin)
- 145g Milk Chocolate (broken into smaller pieces)
- 1 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 285ml Double Cream
- 210g Sifted Icing Sugar (Extra to Decorate)
- Holly Sprigs & Cake Toppers to Decorate
How to Make the Yule Cake Sponge
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6.
- Grease and line your 23cm x 23cm Swiss roll tin. In a mixing bowl beat the eggs and caster sugar together until thick and creamy.
- Mix the flour, cocoa, and baking powder before sifting onto the egg mixture. Gently fold the mixture before pouring into your baking tin. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- On a worksurface lay a sheet of non-stick parchment paper. Once baked, tip the sponge onto the paper and peel off the liner. Roll the sponge up from the longest edge with the paper inside. Leave to cool.
How to Make the Icing
- Gently melt the butter and chocolate together in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Remove from the heat add the golden syrup and stir in the 5 tbsp of double cream, then beat in the icing sugar until smooth.
- Thoroughly whisk the remaining double cream until it begins to hold its shape. Unravel the sponge cake and spread the cream mixture across the top. Roll up again into a log.
Decorating the Chocolate Log Cake
- Place the log cake onto a plate and spread the icing over the log (avoid covering the ends), then using a fork mark the icing to give the effect of tree bark. Generously dust with icing sugar and finish with some decorative Christmas cake toppers.