This truly indulgent marbled chocolate cake is sure to impress guests! With hints of hazelnut and vanilla, this treat is a perfect addition to the dessert table, afternoon teas and is especially enjoyed with a cup of tea! With a quirky pattern, this pound cake is simple and tastes delicious.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- 225g Unsalted Butter (Softened)
- 250g Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 70g Hazelnuts (Roughly Chopped)
- 1 Tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 120g (All-Purpose Flour)
- 100g Sugar (Divided)
- 8 Eggs (Separated)
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F / 175°C / Gas Mark 4. With low fat cooking spray / non stick pan spray, coat 12 mini loaf pans.
- Add the butter and 50g of sugar to the bowl of the KitchenAid® Artisan Mini Stand Mixer. Place the flat beater and bowl onto the mixer and turn to speed 4 for approx. 5 minutes or until light & fluffy.
- Continuing on Speed 4, add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stop and scrape the bowl.
- Add hazelnuts and flour. Turn to Speed 2 and mix until well blended. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. In a separate bowl, add the egg white and mix until the mixture begins to hold its shape.
- Gradually add remaining 50g sugar and whip until whites hold soft (but not stiff), slightly glossy peaks.
- Stir one fourth of egg white mixture into hazelnut mixture to lighten the batter. Add remaining egg white mixture and fold in gently with spatula just until blended.
- Remove one fourth of batter to separate bowl; add chocolate hazelnut spread and the vanilla extract. Fold in gently with spatula.
- Fill each loaf pan one fourth full with yellow batter. Top each with a thin layer of the chocolate batter, followed by another layer of yellow batter. Fill each pan no more than three fourths full. (For a marbled effect, use a toothpick to swirl batter in circles).
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a knife comes out the cake clean.