Make Your Own Delicious Blackberry Gin
Now is the time to get picking wild blackberries from the hedgerow to create delicious bottles of homemade blackberry gin to give as Christmas presents or to enjoy at home as a seasonal treat.
The following recipe should make around 750ml of blackberry gin.
- 250g of fresh blackberries, washed
- 70cl Gin
- 125g caster sugar
- Add the fruit to a sterilised Kilner jar or bottle and add the sugar
- Fill the Kilner jar / bottle with gin and seal
- Shake several times a day for the first 3 days to ensure it is well mixed
- Store in a cool, dark place (ideally a larder or cupboard at normal room temperature) to mature for 10-12 weeks (no longer or you risk your gin being tainted with an unpleasant woody taste)
- Using a layer of clean muslin as a filter, allow the contents of the bottle to drip through into a bowl below (do not squeeze or your gin will be cloudy)
- Taste for sweetness before decanting into sterilised glass bottles and adding a little extra sugar if required
- Seal and shake vigorously until any added sugar has completely dissolved
- Leave to rest for a further month before drinking
Here at Potters Cookshop we stock everything you need to make, bottle and label your own flavoured gin, so why not give it a go today? https://www.potterscookshop.co.uk/collections/kilner-preserving-collection
- Sarah Threadgold